Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Oh my sleepwalking boys are going to do me in!

I have a couple of sleepwalkers. They wander the house, they open doors and go outside to sleep on the snow, they carry on strange conversations with themselves, they have great laughing fits with eyes wide open while still in their dream, and they pee in strange places.

I don't mind the laughing fits or the funny one sided conversations, but all the other side happenings of being a sleepwalker are going to do me in!

Tonight while Owen, Teagan and I were playing a board game (Agricola) in the dining room Emmett and Duncan were in the living room watching Lion King. From somewhere in the back of my head I heard a oh-too-common sound of pee piddling on the hardwood floors. (Yeah, potty training is still going on around here.) I turn to see Emmett standing next to the kitchen trashcan and I can see his shirt pulled up a little, in the way boys do when they are standing to pee. This is what happened:

me: Emmett! What are you doing?!

Emme: *blank stare*

me: Emmett! What are you doing?! Stop!!!

Emme: *more blank staring as the pee bounces off the floor*

*I race to get out of my seat and run to him*

me: Emmett! Stop! Oh man, he's still asleep! I wish they'd stop peeing all over my house when they are asleep!

*That was a bit of an overstatement. This doesn't happen all too often, but I have followed my sleepwalkers into rooms only to find them with dropped drawers peeing on the carpet in the middle of the room or in the corner or the trashcan or basket places like that.*

*I walk Emmett back to the couch to lay him down so we can clean up his mess and then finish our game*

me: Emmett, are you awake?

Emmett: yes....*inaudible sentence as he snuggles down into the couch and closes his eyes*

me: Emmett, why did you just pee on my trashcan? *seeing his eyes glazed over still* Are you awake or not?

Emmett: I'm just playing...

me: You're playing?? Why did you pee on the floor, guy?

Emmett: *closing his eyes* I'm playing outside...*more inaudible sentence as he drifts off again*


He was asleep the whole time.

So Teagan and I cleaned up the floor and the can laughing about the situation and then we went back to our game and let him sleep on the couch until we were done.

Yeah, sleepwalkers are a barrel of laughs!

No comments: