Thursday, October 29, 2009

Scoring Big... Cubby Style

This month at Garrett's pack meeting, he earned a whole slew of belt loops, pins, badges, and arrow points. He had such a fun time getting all the awards and was so proud of himself!

His leaders accidentally made a mistake and awarded him some of the loops and pins early - he got them for achievements he is still working on. But when I took them back to them to return since he hadn't finished, they apologized for the confusion and said they weren't too concerned though... they were sure I would make sure he actually did finish them! So I have only let him put on the loops he has actually finished... the rest we will keep working on together. That is another great opportunity home schooling gives. We work on badges and loops during school as a class and we have been able to plow through lots of cub things already.

For example, we have been learning about ancient China in history, so today we all drew the Chinese numbers 1-10 in watercolor paint - working on both an academic pin for Garrett and helping visualize the difference between pictograms and characters in Chinese and Japanese writing... simple right?! Even Owen painted his numbers! It was quite fun, and it led to painting watercolor pictures of the Great Wall which led to doing watercolor self portraits which helped Garrett work on his art pin! Man, I love homeschooling!









I love how enthused Garrett is about Cub Scouts! We are having such a fun time working on activities together and are about to start working on the family badges together. Even Tig is getting into it, and Owen is following around like a hungry puppy after a bone - he loves being a "scout-in-training."

2 comments:

Klin said...

Woot Woot for Garrett! I am so proud of him. You amaze me with your home schooling. There are times I wish I had done it, but I don't have the patience needed.

John and Jamie said...

Way to go Garrett that Great.