We were just barely getting to the hospital this time last year getting ready to have him... We didn't really celebrate his birthday a lot today, other than singing him birthday songs all day long. He isn't feeling well (and hasn't been for a week now) so we are putting off doing birthday cake with him until he is eating again. He did open up his gift from Granny and a card from Grandpa J. and played with the balloon we got him. He also got 2 new bibs, but since he is not eating right now, they weren't all that cool to him!
I had written a long beefy post last night about my complaints of the medical community, and was a bit more harsh and satirical than normal and apparently I wasn't supposed to publish it because blogger prevented it from saving drafts every five minutes like it normally does, and then didn't let it be published when I asked for it to be but still deleted everything I had written. So there is no post on how absurd it is for you to be holding your child in the middle of the hospital, while he is having a seizure, and have the nurses look to you and ask you what they should do. There is no post calling them teenage phlebotomists because they looked like 16 year old cheer captains. No post quoting lines from our conversation that provoked baffled expressions to rise in me. Maybe later I will go for a round two, but tonight I am focusing on the happiness that is our Emmy.
He is such a happy baby - Granny sent him and outfit that says "I make mommy happy" and that is such a perfect outfit for him! Even through all this, when his fever has been riding at 104 and 105, when he wakes up for a second he will look at me through his groggy, watery eyes and flash me a little grin and then head back into his la la land sleep. Not even a boiling brain can put a damper on this little guy :-) He has been this way almost since he was born! He was purposefully smiling at 10 days old and has never stopped - here is a picture of him at 14 days old with his crooked little grin.
He has always just been drawn to happy things and happy people. He will laugh and smile at the kids when they are on the other side of the house just because he will hear them laughing. Owen today was asking me why is it that whenever someone is crying that Emmett will walk up to them and look in their eyes and smile. I told him it is because Emmett longs for everyone to be as happy as he is.
We were playing in the tub the other night trying to pull the fever down again and I shot some pictures of him. Later, they reminded me of some I took of Owen when he was just a few months younger than Ems. You can really tell which is which, but I love to see them side by side!


I will post more birthday pictures and do a better birthday tribute in a few days when he is feeling better, but for now I am going to go cuddle my little furnace and whisper sweet love songs in his ear until he drifts off to sleep again! It's been a tough first birthday for our little man.


4 comments:
Kris,
I truly believe that some children come into this life with a heart full of love and life. They are the sweet ones, the tender ones. It's like they remember the over-powering love that they felt in the life before--they come here with those memories and feelings and can't help but to be happy and to try to help others to be happy too. Emmett's one of those happy angels. And I suppose it is our job as parents to help them keep that happiness and that sweetness for as long as possible before they forget.. And if we are very, very lucky, that child will continue to be happy and well-adjusted and near perfect all of their life, and will continue to spread their joy wherever they go.
You are one of those lucky parents, and thankfully, I was too. I was blessed with you.
Love you,
Mom
I can not believe it has been a year! So sad that he is sick and so awesome that he is still a happy guy. Cute, too.
Happy birthday Emmy-baby! Please get better soon!!
Love,
Auntie A and Uncle P
I can't believe he already one years old. time goes by to fast.
Post a Comment