Part of that was by having the two older boys write and illustrate a story yo enter into the PBS Young Writers Contest. And although I am entirely biased about the whole thing, I absolutely LOVE the stories and pictures they came up with! Garrett did such a wonderful job on his pictures, and Owen's story is one of the best I have ever read!
Just then, a huge dragon came roaring and snarling up the road, but not at her. She saw a bullet that was shot in his hand and that was why he was so mad.

So Camille made a deal with him that if he did not eat the fairies then they would protect him so that he would never get shot again.
(Owen had a step-by-step dino drawing book that he used - except he just copied the final picture instead of following all the instructions!)

(This is my favorite picture out of all of his, I think! I love his little face and his square teeth!)
(This picture is Owen's favorite. He colored each little leaf individually and was so proud of how the wings turned out!) 
(Isn't that a great ending?! And see the book he is going to read, it's the front cover of his book! He came up with that on his own!)
Garrett REALLY, desperately wants to win first place in the nationals because the prize is a laptop :-) I don't know what an 8 year old would do with his own laptop, but he says, "it would actually be really good for my studies... I could plug a thumb drive in and, voila..." What happens at voila, I'm not sure, but he seems to think it is a good thing. Second place is a digital camera, which I thought would be more up his alley, and then third place is a MP3 player, which is also cool enough for a third grader. But those are all national prizes, so the likelihood of us seeing them is fairly slim. They will for sure get a neat certificate, though, so that will be cool, too :-)
Here is Garrett's story:
A long time ago, a fairy was walking to the fairy parade, which was in a town called Arts-burg, because the fairy mayor lived there.
(I let them use water color paints to color their pictures, and both boys absolutely loved painting their pictures!)(Garrett used a step-by-step drawing book to learn how to draw dragons and castles, isn't he a cute dragon?!)
That fairy's name was Camille, she was a winter fairy, so whatever she passed froze.
(Garrett loves this picture of Camille, I love her hands and how he made it look like her wings were moving!)
She knew that she could help him, so she froze him completely then pulled the bullet out of his hand. After he thawed out and woke up, the dragon told her that his name was Fox and that he wanted to be a friendly dragon.
(He is a lefty, so he traced his left hand with his right to make it look scary, and then he traced Emmy's hand to be the fairy hand! Clever kid!)
And to this day the fairies are friends with the dragons, and although they might not be seen too often, they are still out there being friends to each other.
(He wanted to make it look like sunset, I think he did great on it!)
Here is Owen's story with his drawing and waterpaintings:
Here is Owen's story with his drawing and waterpaintings:
Garrett REALLY, desperately wants to win first place in the nationals because the prize is a laptop :-) I don't know what an 8 year old would do with his own laptop, but he says, "it would actually be really good for my studies... I could plug a thumb drive in and, voila..." What happens at voila, I'm not sure, but he seems to think it is a good thing. Second place is a digital camera, which I thought would be more up his alley, and then third place is a MP3 player, which is also cool enough for a third grader. But those are all national prizes, so the likelihood of us seeing them is fairly slim. They will for sure get a neat certificate, though, so that will be cool, too :-)
I had to mail the originals into the contest, but not before I made come color copies of them to keep for myself! I love looking back in a few years and remember their new writers handwriting and their coloring skills. We look back at Tig's from when she was Garrett's age with happiness, and I am sure we will do the same to these ones!
4 comments:
Those are the coolest hand-made books I've ever seen! Tell the boys that we are SO proud of them and hope they win! You have such talented kiddies!!
Those are sooooo cool! Tell Garrett and Owen how proud I am of them. They are so talented.
I love it! And I'm with you, I love that picture of Owen's with the wide open mouth! Both stories were great. And the pictures are super! I love the water colors! But I don't understand why you say you don't like writing. I use to LOVE it in school. I remember my 3rd and 4th grade teacher in New Orleans, Mrs Pooche. What a wonderful teacher she was! She encouraged me to write stories (even without having an assignment.) Whenever she read one of my fanciful tales, she would praise me and tell me what a gifted writer I was! Perhaps I wasn't so gifted, but her encouragement made me want to be the best writer I could possibly be!
And what a great way to use your imagination!!
You are so good with teaching the children to keep journals. You are already teaching them and encouraging their writing skills, Kris, so don't diminish what you do. You are a great teacher.
Love, your mom, who now only writes emails to my lovely daughters, cards to my grandchildren and scathing letters to bad Corporate Heads who make me mad!!
Those are amazing. Writing is so important. I love writing papers in APA format. MLA is okay, but more difficult.
I hope the kiddos win something. What a great job and very creative.
Post a Comment