Garrett has been working hard this past month on his scouts, and so has the family.
We worked on a family program called Fun for the Family, and today we all earned our certificate and the 5 badges that goes along with it.
From here on out, each time we do two projects from any of the sections, we will get a pin to put on our house badge. The projects are really easy things that most families should be doing anyways, and some are just fun things that you do as a family. (for example, we sat down and played a game that involves money and talked about why it is important to be wise with your money - we played one of my favorite games for that one - LIFE. Another thing we had to do was plan and practice a fire drill and escape plan.) It was fun to get up together as a family to get our awards... the only sad part was that Teagan was called away to go help her cousins up north, so she wasn't there with us:-(
He also finished working on his religious knot and was given that tonight. The den leader told us that he is the first little guy in a while to have earned this, and Garrett is really proud of that.
And he finally got his Flaming Gorge badge from our trip up there in the summer.
It took a very long time to get it because our scout store here didn't carry it, so they had to arrange to get it somehow from the scout store in Vernal. He likes the badge a lot and noticed that it had a prong horn on it;
which was the first thing we noticed when we were up there checking in.
There was a herd of them right next to the visitor's center and the kids got so close to them!
He also got another silver arrow - this makes his 7th silver arrow! Even with all that he has done already, there are still enough arrow points left in the book that he could possibly earn 5 or 6 more. (Not that I would know where to put them though! He is already running out of room on his shirt to put them - he needs a little more height on him so he can have more billboard space on his shirt!)
And going along with the theme of today's pack meeting, I decided to work on a project that I have been wanting to do for a while. Saturday on our walk we picked out the sticks we wanted to use for making a display area for all his pins and badges, so I put it together tonight to see if my idea would work the way I wanted it to.
I really would have liked to have done it with a piece of leather, but I couldn't find any at any nearby stores, so I used a microfiber-ish material that looked like leather! I think it turned out pretty okay - the badges and things aren't really on it yet, I just laid them on it to see how it would look eventually.
Not too bad. He had been keeping all his pins on his hat, but they kept poking him in the head, so I picked up the diamond cub scout badge thing to hold them all, and I think I will just transfer the whole thing onto the display rack as it is.
We are having so much fun in scouts - we work on most of his activities as a family so even Tig and Owen have a great love of Cubs! We work on his scouting things as a family, and Tig's Faith in God things as a family... I love doing it that way and hope that I am not encouraging dependency in them so they won't be able to handle working on things alone. I don't think that will happen...or at least I hop that doesn't happen. Garrett was able to teach his den how to play marbles and helped three boys earn their marbles belt loop all alone, so I am hoping that dependency isn't going to be something I have to worry about.
No comments:
Post a Comment