Yesterday we went on another family hike - this time in a canyon north of us. We have been there many times, but we never seem to tire from it. We went off the beaten path and wandered around finding all sorts of fun places and things. We climbed over pipes and log bridges and jumped streams.

We saw all sorts of pretty leaves and buds all around us...like the forest is getting ready to explode into its spring outerwear collection.

It was fairly chilly there, so I bundled everyone up in hats and jackets. But Daddy, being the warm-blooded creature he is, went in short sleeves and shorts!

Owen kept finding spots he thought were nice picture places and would strike a pose and ask me to take a shot of him...he's such a little ham! We found almost 100 air soft pellets to add to his collection. He loves finding those little plastic pellets wherever we go and keeps them in his treasure box in his room. Today we found a cache of white ones, a color that he hasn't found too often, so he was thrilled.

Garrett barely wanted to stay still long enough for me to take some pictures of him. He had brought his hand held fishing pole to try his luck with it, and along the way he and his daddy found an old, dull pocket knife on the ground...you would have thought he had found a golden nugget with as excited as he was! He has been so excited to earn the chance to have a pocket knife like a real scout, so when his daddy let him carry the found pocket knife, he was walking around like a jungle explorer!

Tig and I hung back together and let the boys lead the way. We were content to just chat, walk arm-in-arm, and take pictures. She is such a fun kid! I am glad I have at least one daughter amongst my little crew to girl around with. She isn't a girly-girl, which is good because I wouldn't know what to do with a girly-girl, but she is still sweet and sensitive and makes me smile just being around her!

We were having fun finding letters in the things we saw. I snapped a few letters along the way, and when we got home I realized that I had inadvertently spelled a word! I was working on finding the alphabet, but only found a handful of letters because I wasn't searching a diligently as I could have been... I was busy chatting! I thought they looked like they spelt out the word "love", but Tig says it just looks like "zovf", so maybe I'm just seeing things since I'm in a good mood!

This was them trying to coax a fish onto their line.

Even Emmy was into quietly watching the swimming fish. The water was so clear that they could see straight to the bottom.

As the evening ended, I wanted to check out the train tracks and try them out for some pictures.

Only Owen was game for getting out of the car one more time.

He loved climbing all over the abandoned cars!

And really enjoyed walking on the beams. He reenacted that old silent movies scene where the damsel is tied on the train tracks screaming for help while the nasty, handlebar-moustached, evil villain laughs. It was quite a scene!

I love our family hikes... we get to be out in the gorgeous weather, enjoying spending time with each other, with no electrical monitors of any kind, soaking in the beauty and peace and happiness. I think it is a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon!
1 comment:
I loved the post today about your Sunday hike! I am so proud of you and Scott and the parents that you have become! The hike looked like so much fun and the pictures that went with it helped tell the story. Please don't stop posting about your family trips -- it's almost like I am there with you.
As I was thinking about this, I was mentally comparing you as a parent to me as a parent, and I was coming up WAYYYYY short!
I don't ever remember doing anything fun with my parents when I was growing up. Once in a while, when I was very little, I remember a couple of times on Saturday night when we were watching TV, my mother would make popcorn and fudge. YUM! But we never had family vacations or did anything together as a family. And I think I could be fairly certain that my parents never had family vacations nor did anything "fun" with their families when they were growing up.
Unfortunately, I perpetuated the "tradition" by not having fun with my children. But Kris, it wasn't because I didn't WANT to; it just never occurred to me. I was always strapped for money, as you and Scott probably are. But you guys do all sorts of fun things that don't require lots of money. I just didn't KNOW to have fun with my children. It wasn't a matter of neglect, but of ignorance. And I'm so very sorry. I missed many opportunities for you and Jen to make good memories.
But you and Jen have overcome my poor example and do wonderful things together as a family, and for that I'm very grateful.
So, keep up the good work, my sweet angel. You are teaching your children what a good parent should do.
Love you,
Mom
Post a Comment