Friday, December 3, 2010

Yesterday we went to Lake Twenty Two to go on a hike up there that Scott had been on before. These are some pictures he had taken when he went before. The weather then was nicer, the sun was up, and it was a little earlier in the day. When we went yesterday it was almost night time, the weather was really chilly, foggy, and overcast, and my camera was acting funny because of it - it kept freezing up on me and I would have to take the battery out and replace it to reset the camera for it to work again... weird.
We hiked up to this point, where the giant boulder had fallen down the mountainside and knocked the bridge off the path.... it seemed like a great stopping point to us.
This area is a protected land and they made the trail as environmentally friendly as possible. The whole trail was absolutely wonderful!


This is how it looked last night... wet and cold.
But there was green growing everywhere still.
The forest was filled with all sorts of different types of pine trees and tall redwoods like this one.
On the deadwood there was all sorts of life as well.

The pathway was crossed and filled with waterfalls and streams, so Emmett was carried for a good part of the way so he didn't slip in the wet rocks. The right side of the trail going up was a pretty sharp edge that looked over the river...we weren't anxious to see how slippery he would be on the wet rocks!

At this point Scott turned around and said, "This is your kind of bridge, isn't it, Kristina?" I smiled and said, "Yeah, I love this bridge, it's so full of character." He responded, "Yeah, it reminded me of you when I first came across it."

I'm not sure what that means, but I'm glad I was with him in his thoughts the first time he came:-)
These trees made the kids and I smile - they are the cut down redwoods that are refusing to die. Even though the trunk is hollow, it has sent up shoots of new trees out of the top. So cool!
Emmett really wanted to walk across MY bridge, so Daddy helped him. He was so cute, anytime the two logs didn't meet up and he could see the water under him, he would stop and take a very calculated and over exaggerated step over it!

Today when Scott gets home he has some homework to do, so the kids and I are going to venture out on our own. I don't think we are going to go anywhere super fun, maybe the toy store to walk around, or to a nearby park if it's warm enough. It's supposed to be party night, so perhaps we'll pick up a $5 pizza on the way home and try and talk Daddy into playing games with us when he's done with his reports :-)

1 comment:

Mom said...

I love all the pictures, Kris!! Thanks for bringing me along on your little hike. I LOVE the trees! So beautiful.
And I'm so glad that you are all together again.
Love you!