Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Book three

Anyone who knows my family, knows we love books around our house. We are frequently at the library, often borrowing books from friends, and constantly reading.

But I don't let the kids just read books; I want them writing their own stories as well! And one of my favorite times for them to write is for the annual PBS Writer's Contest. We've done it for a few years and loved it. Last year all three of the older kids were able to participate, but this year, in Washington, they only allow grades K-3 to enter. So this year only Owen gets to enter a story in.

He has written a couple of great stories in the past - one of them won 4th in Nationals! And this year he has written and illustrated another fun one. Here is a link to follow to preview his story:  http://pbs.studentpublishing.com/Images/PB/PB014170B/view.php?id=PB014170B

Check it out and let us know what you think.

He says his goal is to eventually write 50 stories like this and then sell them for a dollar a piece so he can save up some money.

Three down, 47 to go, Owen!


Here is his last year's story: http://pbskids.org/writerscontest/story-viewer.php?storyid=1534
Here is his story from when he was 5: http://pbskids.org/writerscontest/story-viewer.php?storyid=1409

3 comments:

Smithclan said...

Do you get any of the money if you sell any books? I'm glad you wrote a book about your favorite animal. I love it!

the quirky one said...

No, we don't get any proceeds from it, only PBS would. So for now we are just making color copies at Staples and having them spiral bind it and we're calling it good!

Mom said...

WOW!!! what a great illustrator he is! The book was wonderful, but the pictures were superb! Bravo! I vote for Owen to win!