Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Sampson

We first found out about Sampson a couple of weeks ago when we found his skin rubbed off on the side of our house. The kids were tremendously impressed with it and it stayed on our counter until just recently when I decided that since it was serving no good purpose in my kitchen, and no one was taking responsibility for it, then it had to go to the recycling bin... what they are going to do with a used snake skin, I don't know. All I know is that it is no longer on my counter taking up space!

Today we finally got to meet Sampson face to face. I know it is a day my kids won't forget all too soon, and I am sure I can say the same thing for poor Sampson.
Everyone wanted to hold him. I found him while mowing the lawn, and made the mistake of calling the kiddos over to see him. I thought they would love to see whose skin we had been goggling at for the past little while. Little did I know that we were about to make a new best friend.

Owen immediately picked him up, without hesitating at all! This kid loves snakes! I'm glad it was just a harmless Garter snake and not something more fun like a copperhead! Then each of the kids had to have their turn holding him and posing for a picture.

Even Emmy got in on the show and feel lesson! But he wasn't as impressed with him as the other kids were!The boys also played Indian Jones with Sampson, which I don't think he necessarily loved, but I don't think it was too traumatic for him either. They were really gentle with him, and Owen didn't raise his voice at all since Sampson had such tiny ears, he wanted to make sure he didn't hurt them.

Owen really wanted to bring him inside and put him in a tupperware dish for him to live in, but in the end we decided that Sampson would get sad and really needed to stay outside...but not before trying to see if he liked it up on Emmy's head!After many, many, many attempts, Owen finally let Sampson go back into grass and he slithered his way back to the side of the house. That happened only after he made Sampson promise that he would stay in our yard and would come out to play again... supposedly he agreed, but I think Sampson probably had his tail crossed!

No comments: