Thursday, May 5, 2011

The long run home

Today my kids did something amazing...they ran their first 5K!!!
A month ago Garrett came to me asking if we could do a 5K together, and I enthusiastically told him yes! We looked on-line to find one that we could fit into our schedule, and then we remembered that there was a free one that we could do. The local school does a Fun Run every year for the kids, and this year I was finally able to get our kids signed up to do it!

I had expected Owen to run his little heart out and would come in among the top 100 runners, Garrett would run himself hard and get a little heat stroke feeling going on, and Teagan would find some friends near the back and they would chat the whole time while they power walked to the finish line.


The reality of it was that Owen did start out with the top 100 runners, but two blocks in he got trampled by some big kids while they went around a corner, so he came running back to me at the finish line and he pulled out of the race completely. That left Garrett and Teagan running with about 550 other elementary aged kids, and they both completed the race right in the middle of the pack! Tig came in 321st and Garrett was about 50 people later. I was so proud of them!


I had really wanted to do the 5K myself, but after running up and down the stairs at the Marriott center on Tuesday chasing after Emmy and trying to keep up with him for three hours, my knees were in opposition of that idea. So I stayed at the finish line with Emmett and watched some other kids while their parent's ran with the older kids. So we just hung out playing on the playground and waiting for the bigger kids to come.
After the race was over I took the kids out to Sonic to get them a slushie to celebrate their courage and will power. Now they have done something that neither their mom or dad have ever done!

No comments: