I don't know what happened. I know I up loaded a new version of Picassa - photo uploader I use mostly - and we had some viruses on the computer so I had to do a clean up of them, and somewhere between those two things, my computer has completely forgotten one of its best friends. My camera. It doesn't recognize my camera at all. I can't even up load my pictures to Windows or Photoshop...its bumming me out!!
And, Scott is having a really busy week in school, so he can't problem solve my dilemma...double bummer.
On the up-side, I got a call from KUED today :-) There is an award ceremony this Saturday at Thanksgiving Point in Lehi, Utah and he asked that I make sure that Teagan and Owen were there. He wouldn't tell me what places they had won in the writing contest for their stories, but he said that the top four winners needed to be present; so they both won either first, second, third, or fourth place in their grade division. Neither of them know yet, but I did talk to Garrett to prepare him a little so that he wouldn't be too sad on Saturday when his brother and sister both won and he didn't. I thought it would be better for him to be a little sad today, and then be over it by Saturday so he could enjoy the day and share in their gladness with them. He took it pretty well. He knows his story was awesome, and knows that it would have won an award in my book contest!
Some people question why I sign the kids up for so many contests and competitions, and whether my logic is sound or not, I don't know, but I think that the more times they get used to competing and entering, and on the off chance winning and losing, they are prepared to handle both the winning seasons and the losing ones. I wanted them to learn how to aim high, but still keep their feet grounded for the 'just in case you don't win' scenarios. I want them to be gracious winners and grateful losers. And the only way I could see to do that was by giving them the opportunities to experience both first hand. Repeatedly.
It was tough at the beginning, seeing as my kids have inherited my competitive nature, but over the past couple years of entering lots and lots of different competitions, I think they are getting really good at both winning and losing. They thrill at winning still (it hasn't gotten second hand to them or anything) and they also understand that if they didn't win, it doesn't reflect negatively on them, but that instead some other kid has the chance to experience that winning thrill - so it's okay.
I guess I will have to wait until they are grown a little more and see if this parenting experiment was a success or a stinker. but the preliminary results are that it is helping them develop into fairly well-rounded little people.
No comments:
Post a Comment