Since his tonsillectomy in November, his PFAPA fever cycles have tamed down a great deal. The first two after the surgery were KILLERS, but since those two, the others have not gotten over 103 (which I can handle so much better than his 106 ones!) and he hasn't had anymore seizures. I can deal with a grouchy, hot boy every month as long as his brain isn't melting and he isn't seizing every few days!
This morning as I was making banana pancakes for breakfast, Quasimodo walked into the kitchen needing some cuddle time and we found out he has another fun 'syndrome.'
This one is named Skeeter Syndrome...yeah, someone was really creative when they named this problem! It is when your auto immune reacts to mosquito bites in a larger way than normal - sort of like a severe allergic reaction to 'squito spit.He had gotten bit by a mosquito on his forehead sometime during the night and it swelled up so much that one eye was swelled shut and the other was barely opened. He could barely see and his cheek and mouth were
(My camera battery was almost dead, so pardon the blurry pictures, but you get the gist of how Quasi looked. And these 2D pictures don't do the 3D real life version any justice anyways.)
I already knew that he reacted strongly to 'squito bites because he's had some other ones swell up really big on his back and arms and legs, but this one takes the cake for pity party points. When your little eye is hidden behind folds of puffy, fluid filled skin, you get some seriously sad looks!
The poor little dude's face has hurt for most of the day and the swelling actually got a bit worse before it started looking better, but the nurse I talked to said that was to be expected. The swelling 'dripped' down his face and his eye sagged and his cheek puffed more, but as of bedtime tonight while I am writing this, I think it is mostly starting to go away. We'll see how he looks in the morning!
To make matters worse, at a home school party today he accidentally fell off of a swing and hit his face and he got a really bad bloody nose and a cut lip. After adding those lovely things to his already swollen face, by the time his siblings brought him to me he looked like a car accident victim ready to have DFACS called on his abusive parents! But he's still the cutest car accident victim I have ever seen!
1 comment:
Poor thing! And I thought the surgery was meant to get rid of those fever cycles - isn't there any way the doctors can help him?
Post a Comment