I blinked again and another week has gone by.
Duncan is now two weeks old...how did that happen? It seems like I was still pregnant yesterday.
On the up side, it sounds nice to be able to say that I've lost a quick 20 pounds on this Birth Quick Weight Loss Program :-) Plus I have such a cute little guy to show for it!
In celebration of his two week birthday, we took Duncan to the doctor for his first visit; which included (among other things) getting his heel pricked again for a follow up test. He didn't cry or squeak or make a noise at all - other than to grunt a bit and fill and his diaper in the nurse's arms. He did so good!
Both the nurse and the doctor told Scott that he needed to take me out to dinner for how well I've been able to feed Duncan. He has gained a full pound in the past two weeks, which is just over an ounce a day! He still looks little, but if you look at his arms and back, you can tell he is starting to fluff up a little!After all the fun measurements and compliments were given, then came the down side to visiting the doctor today...it was Chop Shop Day for him.
I have fought against it with all the other boys and this time was no exception - Scott and I talked every which way about whether or not to have the baby circumsized. Scott even came with us this time to ask the doctor about the pros and cons of it. We were told that it is now mainly just a cosmetic proceedure and that there is really only one pro for each direction. If you have it done, it does cut down on the incidence of foreskin infections, and if you don't have it done it cuts down on the chances of getting an STD later in life. But even knowing that, Scott still wanted to have it done.
The doctor was hysterically funny through the whole thing, (he kept cracking jokes like telling us he was having a half-off special for the month of September - if he took off more than half, the proceedure would be free) but his humor still didn't change my opinion. I didn't want it done at all. I don't care if my boys wouldn't be a 'matched set' - differences are okay!
Duncan did great. I nursed him before, and cuddled him, and apologized:-) He was strapped to the table and got his penile liticaine block without even crying a bit. He made it through most of the proceedure without so much as wiggling or crying, but did cry for about 30 seconds during a tugging part of it. He was such a trooper through it all - very reminiscent of when Emmy had it done.
All the way home I (passive agressively) apologized to him for having it done. I told him that now he was just like all the other doggies who have their eaers clipped just to look the way people think they should.
Instead of taking me out to Cafe Rio like the nurse suggested, Scott took me out for shakes (SO not the same!) and I chose to get an Arby's Jamocha Oreo shake - something that Scott really hates for me to do. He doesn't like the idea of Jamocha anything, but it is a sweet treat that I only get every couple of years. He asked me if I felt guilty eating something that had coffee flavoring in it and I told him that I didn't feel even the slightest bit guilty, but asked him if he did for his choice for Duncan. Poor Scott got the point, I think, because as I dropped him off for work as he got out he said "Sorry you hate me."
So that was our day today - part great, part terrible. Duncan is doing great, not complaining one bit about anything - he even let me take all sorts of pictures of him and wiggle him all around and didn't get angry at all.
He is such a wonderful baby. And he smells so delicious and feels so soft; I just want to eat him up everytime I hold him!
(check out his Vulcan ear - that was his identifying feature for us in the hospital - and don't you love his hairy little back! I do!)



2 comments:
LOVE LOVE LOVE the fur and the fluff... sooo beautiful...I'm going to have to come get another weekly fix. great job on the pics too...you got them this time, the look super!
Such a sweet baby!! And I'm sorry about the 'chop', that must be hard for mommies to watch!
Post a Comment