Thursday, February 26, 2009

This place is a zoo!




Yesterday was the "Homeschooler's Day at the Zoo" supposedly. When we got there we found out that the official name of it was "Wild Wednesday" and boy was it! It was actually just a free day at the zoo, so there were a million people there! Most of them were pre-school classes... with lots of little kids running around with their names pinned on their shirts and harried looking adults who are constantly taking head counts of all the children around them.
Had I not just driven an hour to get there, I would have probably turned around and headed home - I don't like doing large crowds with my kids... I guess I've seen too many CSI shows or something! But we ended up staying.
The two big kids each had to chose two animals - one herbivore and one carnivore - to write reports on. They were thrilled with this idea. Garrett chose a Zebra and a Tiger, while Teagan chose a Cougar and a Giraffe. Owen assignment was to count each type of animal and fill out a worksheet with animal pictures on it. He loved his assignment as well as the big kids. He especially liked the bird house where the birds were free flying all around us. We got there right at feeding time, so the birds were very active flitting from bowl to bowl. Owen really liked that :-)
We spent about 2 hours walking around there before it was just too chilly for Emmett and the kids started to get hungry. We didn't get to see everything we wanted, but we got to the animals they needed to get information on for their reports, and that was the main objective of the day. We had a fun day at the zoo, a fairly easy school day for the kids and I, and made some nice memories for them to keep.

3 comments:

Klin said...

I understand about the whole crowd thing.

You got some great pictures and your kids are getting so big.

I love the smirky look on Owen's face. That is adorable.

Anonymous said...

emmett doesn't look like he's enjoying the zoo. he's got a grumpy look on his face! glad to see that you gave owen an assignment. you're a good teacher/mom!

John and Jamie said...

Looks like you guys had fun. Very cute picture. I love the one of all 4 of the kids.