The first weekend in April was Special Olympics held at BYU. I have helped out at Special Olympics almost every year ever since I was in middle school and it is one of my favorite places to be. I have been taking the kids along with me for the past couple of years, hoping to instill that same love and thrill in them as well. When I used to go help when I was a teenager I got to help out in all sorts of ways - I remember one year I got to be the 1996 World Olympic Mascot Whatizit in one of those large headed costumes, that was a lot of fun. (you can click on the link to see the costume!) But now with a lot of little kids in tow, we don't really get to do too much. We have worked in the office organizing and stapling brochures before, but we are usually assigned to be cheerleaders or to work in the Olympic Village.
This year we worked as cheerleaders one day for the runners and bikers, and the next day we worked in the Olympic Village playing with the athletes between their events. We brought our lunches and water bottles so we could spend a couple of hours there and bells and tamborines to make noise as we cheered. We let Emmett play with our water bottles in the stroller and he learned how to suck up through a straw. He doesn't much like the taste of water - he makes a scrunched up face whenever he gets a mouthful of it and then he lets it drool down his shirt and goes for another sip! It is great fun to watch! The kids got to watch the live performances in the village, have free snow cones, cotton candy, and popcorn. They also got to try their arm at the dunk tank
and got to see a magic show and all sorts of other fun things. We were there when the Olympic Torch was brought in by a police squad, so they got to see the ambulance/fire truck/police car escorts blare into the parking lot and then see the police runners run it up to the platform. It was pretty cool!
Okay, that takes care of some of the pictures from this camera, there are more stories to come but they will come another night when it isn't so late!
Oh, guess what....! Emmett says "Mama" now!!! He says it when he is sort of sad and is needing me. And when I come into his view to get him, he stops whining and saying it and gives me this huge smile and his arms stiffen up because he gets so excited. Then I pick him up and he nuzzles his little head into the crook of my neck and hugs my neck with his chubby little arms and even though he pinches me so tightly in his little fingers, I love getting those hugs! And after the hug comes a huge, slobbery, open mouthed kiss to show his appreciation for me responding to him calling me! I love it! The kids are thrilled that he is saying it, and Owen is trying to start calling me Momma also. But I told him that I am either Mommy or Mom to him, but not Momma - it sounds too southern!
2 comments:
I love the southern mama! I want my kids to call me that and not the other names, but usually they end up calling me Wendi because I can't hear them calling me mom.
Great job Garrett!!! on all those photos, my favorite is the one you took of yourself.
Love the new pictures!
And Kris, my sweet little girl, never worry that you are not making an impact on your children. You are one of the best mothers I've ever known. Those kids are going to grow up knowing without a doubt about service and gratitude. You not only teach by example, by helping so many people in your ward and in your family, but you also give them numerous opportunities for them to experience service themselves. Every birthday, they are involved in a service project for others. What a cool tradition that is! When you and Scott do service projects for the neighbors, you bring the kids along so that they can help.
So, rest assured, little one, that you are teaching them correct principles.
And thanks for all the pictures of the kids! And I love the ones of you. You are such a beautiful young woman. Your mother must have been gorgeous!!!!
Post a Comment