Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Space cadet in training

Today I was overtaken  by a moment of craziness and decided to take the boys and one of their friends to the Museum of Flight in Seattle. I'm not a fan of long driving, but the hour and a half that it took to get there was well worth it!
We started at the gift shop (because the craziness hadn't worn off yet) and saw this great bib. I loved it enough to have Garrett snag a picture of Duncan in. I didn't love it enough to pay the $22 to make it my own.

(my great camera men were either too blurry or too close, but you can get the idea of how cute my little bobble head baby looked in the bib)

Through most of the museum I think I was so overwhelmed with the awesomeness that I forgot to take pictures of what we were doing. It was just that great of a museum! A momentary clearness in my thought processes came while we were waiting in a forever long line to walk through the last Air Force One plane that retired in 1990.
 This plane hosted Presidents Kennedy and Eisenhower and a number of dignitaries like Henry Kissinger.
 For as long as we stood in line, we walked through the plane fairly quickly. It wasn't all that impressive. The staff seating was like normal first class seating and their bathroom was just as crowded as a normal airplane bathroom. The presidential bathroom, however, was quite spacious for being on an airplane. It even has a stand up shower in it. The boys think it is great to be able to say that we've been in Air Force One. (Although technically, it is only Air Force One when the president is actually in it. Otherwise it is called SAM970 - Special Air Mission followed by the plane's tail number)

Sadly, this is the only picture I took of the inside of the museum. This is the entrance to the WWI level of the museum. It was so amazing! Planes from almost every country involved. Flight suits. Engines. Full size planes, scale model planes. Tons of hands on learning activities for the kids. A.m.a.z.i.n.g.
We only went through the WWI, WWII, Space Exploration (Boeing makes the NASA space shuttles as well as airplanes), Air Force One tour, Concord tour, and the B-17 tour and that took us almost three hours. We still had another half of the museum to go, but it was time for us to head home.

We will for sure be going to this museum again! It would have been worth the drive for just one of the World War portions of the museum. I can't wait to go again and take more time in each of those areas and to see the other parts we didn't even get to!

No comments: