Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Garrett's Birthday Donation

Okay, so all those who don't know, we have a tradition of doing a service project on our birthdays each year. We try to let the kids decide what they want to do and then we help them accomplish their goals, but still try to let them spearhead it. This year for Garrett's project he wanted to do a book drive. He noticed that when we went to the library down where his Grandma lives that it had a tiny children's section and was in need of books. So he posted it online that he was looking for book and videos and such to donate. He also went through his own bookshelves and picked out about 25 books (mommy approved for donating, of course!) to give.
He was able to collect 4 boxes of books and movies to give to the library ~ a mix of kids books, teen books, adult books, and kids movies. We went down there this past weekend and wanted to have him drop them off, but the library is so little that it keeps really weird hours, and was only going to be opened for 4 hours on Saturday. But, as you can see in the pictures, it was snowing and I needed to head back home before the snow got too heavy or it got too dark, so we missed their slim window! So we just took some pictures of him in front of the library, had him write a letter to teh librarian explaining to her what the books were for, and then we asked Grandma to deliver them this week.

So there it is. Garrett's seven-year-old service project - a book drive for a needy library!

Great job little man! I am proud of the thought you put in it, and how brave you were going to people asking for books, and how it turned out. You are turning out to be such a wonderful young man and I love how you care so much about others and making them happy!

4 comments:

Klin said...

That is awesome! I love it. It is a great tradition. I'm glad you are doing it. It is what I like to do for any occasion.

Leatha said...

What a wonderful way to celebrate. I am planning to do something similar. Garrett is such a thoughtful young man. He was always so kind and caring to Jaya and Raja.

Nikki said...

Happy birthday Garrett!! You did such a great job with your service project! I hope your birthday was amazing! Love, Auntie Annike

Diane Hopkins said...

Wow, what a great idea--to give back to the world on your birthday! I love that!


Pretty great, Garrett.


Diane Hopkins