Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Cubby camp in July

Okay, so this is WAY over due, but I just got the pictures downloaded from our little camera on to Picasa, so better late than never, right?
 
This was the first year that Cub Scout camp was more than just one day for Garrett. In Utah, he would only go for 8 hours on a Friday, and that was Cubby Camp. But this year, he got to go for eight hours a day for FOUR days. Wahoo for him! He was elated! Too bad this was his last year as a cub scout :-)
 
I volunteered to help out three of those days and I brought Owen along as a Tag-Along. That meant that he would hang out with the kids of the other volunteers and would get to do some of the same activities as the cub scouts. He was so excited to get to come with Garrett and I! He is just itching to be a cub scout already!
 
On the Tuesday that I volunteered, they had a police come and bring his canine dog with him; which made Owen completely melt with joy. The puppy was so well behaved and playful. Owen and Garrett both came home wanting to be K-9 cops when they grown up.
 
On the Thursday that I volunteered, they had a reptile man come and bring some of his friends from his zoo. Owen got chosen to come and help hold a beautiful albino python. (Unfortunately he had been playing with my camera earlier and changed the settings to black and white pictures, so there are no pictures of the snake's striking yellow color.) Being the wildlife buff he is, Owen was once again completely happy.

 He also brought with him a snapping turtle, a tortoise, a hooded cobra, a rattle snake, and an alligator name Lucy. She was beautiful and he let the boys come and pet a lot of them after the show was over. (They couldn't pet the cobra, rattlesnake, or the snapping turtle even though the snakes had been defanged...he said they were still temperamental at times)
 Garrett wanted a turn holding the boa, and he thought it was wonderful as well. He was amazed at how silky its scales felt.
 By the third day, Friday, Owen was done being a Tag-Along because he said it was just doing a bunch of 'baby stuff' and he hung out with me and the group I was helping out with. I was with a bear den, so the boys in our group were only a couple of months older than Owen, and he fit in fairly well with them. He got to help pitch a tent the old fashioned way and whittle a bar of soap with a wooden knife, and made a wooden bug catcher.

I wish I had been with Garrett's group so I could have gotten some fun shots of him doing his classes, too. I only got to see him when all the boys got together for lunch and demonstrations. Teagan survived the week being mommy to Duncan and Emme and I called and checked in on her every couple of hours; both boys are really easy going that everything went nice and smooth for her.  So it was a successful week for all of us!

No comments: