Tuesday, September 29, 2009

the joys of checklists!

To start off with, the boys all got haircuts...


(well, except Emmett, technically he doesn't count as a boy quite yet... he's still just "baby".)



Which lead to Garrett not looking ANYTHING like the little boy I am used to. Now he looks like he needs a pair of overalls with no shirt underneath and no shoes on his feet, and he needs to be hanging around with Huckleberry Finn or Scout Finch. This little rug rat was, literally, unrecognizable tonight at his cub scout pine wood derby - our own bishop had to ask whose kid he was! This might be the last time I let him talk me into letting daddy buzz his head - I miss his hair too much! (the red container Owen is holding up in the picture was his collection of all the locks of hair that were chopped off...a sad little coffin for the hair that will grow no more)

Anyways. Since he turned eight last month and has been going to cub scouts, we have both really gotten into this whole scout thing! He earned his first badge the first week he had his book, and almost has his wolf badge already. And in the little time he has been a scout, he has already earned 41 arrow points! I love it! He and I and the other kids have so much fun flipping through his book and finding what we can do to help check off another requirement... I LOVE checklists! I really would have been a GREAT scout, just for that reason! And I am warping my kids into being the same way!
We just finished getting Garrett the last things he needed for his uniform, and he was as pleased as can be to be able to wear it tonight to his derby! To make it even better, his pants are the zip-off type... how cool is that for an eight-year-old?! Teagan didn't think his outfit looked right, she says socks with sandals was a serious no-no :-)

Today was his very first Pinewood Derby as an official Cub Scout, and man has he been excited for this!

Check out his cool necktie slider! His great Aunt Anna gave it to him and he was in heaven that he got to wear it.
Isn't he a handsome fella? I'd let him help me cross the street or unload my groceries...oh, wait, he already does that! He's such a great little scout?!
He even got to help with the flag ceremony for the first time, so he was already floating on the clouds even before the races started!

His car was named G-force, and the flames were there because "it goes so fast that it bursts into flames." We had him draw his own plans out for how he wanted the car shaped and then new plans for how he wanted it to be painted. He and Daddy had fun out in the garage sanding it and playing together.





He placed 4th in tonight's races out of 17 cars, and did really well! He won 4 out of 5 of his heats. He had a ball, and so did the other kids.



2 comments:

Smithclan said...

Ummm, I have a boy who is in need of his eagle (well two actually, but only worried about one) and his book is full of lists. You're hired honey!!!

Klin said...

Garrett is adorable. I love that loves Cubs. He did a good job on his Derby car.

Congrats on his success this year. Look out boys, Garrett is going to be kicking some serious car trash in the years to come!!