Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Emmett's Blessing

Emmett is now 2 months old and this past Sunday was his Blessing Day, and what a fun day it was!
The fun actually started on Friday afternoon when the kids and I drove to the airport to go pick up my mom. She flew all the way from Georgia just to be here for his blessing! That might not sound too impressive, but for her, it is a miracle! She's a nervous flyer... very nervous! To the point that she doesn't eat anything the day before her flight just to be sure there is nothing in her stomach when her nerves start making themselves known. And she still came out! Knowing that coming out would be one thing, but once she gets here, she still has a flight home that she has to endure. But all that was worth it to her for the chance to meet Emmett, hold his chunky little body, smell the top of his head, and pet his eyebrows! (Yea, weird, but that is her favorite baby part to touch, their soft little eyebrows!) She was even willing to let me take some pictures of her with him!
So we got to have her here with us from Friday until Monday and it was great! Teagan let Granny stay in her room and Tig slept with the boys in their room. We went sight seeing on Saturday to drive by the Draper and the Oquirrh Mountain Temples (we also, sadly, found out that the Draper Temple isn't a walk right in temple, but is by appointment only) and went shopping. Then Sunday was Blessing Day.
Scott's parents and his Aunt and Uncle from Hurricane drove up, two of his siblings and their families drove down from the Herriman area, his brother who lives just south of us, and some family friends were all able to be there with us and we were so thrilled. Everything went well, even though Scott said he was really nervous when he sat back down after giving the blessing. Emmett stayed quiet, I was able to take notes from it, and the other kids were fairly well behaved (Owen had a serious case of the wiggles, but that is about normal) so in my book, all went well! This is the Uncle who Emmett got his middle name from - Erick. He's a really good guy who we hope Emmett will grow up following the good footprints Uncle Erick has made.
After the blessing we all headed to our house for a luncheon before Scott's family had to head back on their 5 hour trip home. There was lots of yummy foods, lots of laughing and great conversations, and it was fun spending time with our family and friends. And through it all...Emmett slept :-) He's adorable, but he's not quite the perfect host yet!

We missed our family members who weren't able to make it and were grateful for those who did and helped make it such a special day for Emmett. He has a great extended family, and we sure love them!

5 comments:

Leatha said...

How wonderful that your mom was able to be there! What a trooper. Emmett is so adorable. He looks so much like Teagan to me.

K Sue said...

We wish we could have been there. We hope to not have to miss many more family events. He is so cute and I can't wait to hold him.

Gina said...

Sorry I was out of town and missed his big day! He looks so perfect in his white outfit! What a perfect little guy!

Klin said...

What a day!!! I'm impressed that your mom came. I can't even imagine how hard it is for both of you not to have her close. I think my mom would have my hide if I moved.

Mom said...

Been meaning to write you -- LOVE the pictures of emmett on the blog. Especially the one in his little formal attire sitting up on your bed. That one came out Great! Been waiting for the picture of the ugly old lady to disappear but I see she's still there.

Been eating my wheat and yesterday finally read the back of the bag. I've been cooking it like oatmeal, but the bag suggests that you cook it the night before, let it sit overnight and then microwave it the next morning! I kinda like it the way I cook it. It's yummy. Gonna see Jen this weekend and share some with her to see if she likes it.

Love ya!