Thursday, September 30, 2010

Apples and Bugs

Yesterday we went on a field trip to an apple orchard. This was reminiscent of a trip we used to do every year in Georgia at the same time of year. On this trip, we each got to pick a Golden Delicious apple right off the tree and eat it sun warm... and man, were they golden and delicious!!
We got to go all around the orchard and pumpkin patch by way of hay ride.
At the middle of the tour, there was an apple crate maze for the kids to run through. The bigger ones loved it, and Emmy did too until he learned the hard way that apple crates are great at giving splinters.
So then he decided that staying with mom was an okay alternative.
Back at the red barn, we met some beautiful new friends. One was this huge spider. And since it was a home school trip, there was, of course, a lesson in everything. Here we learned how to tell a boy spider from a girl one; our new friend was a girl.
There was also a vintage cart there that I loved.

At the end, the kids all got an apple donut and a coloring book. Emmy thoroughly enjoyed his donut!
Then, another new friend came our way and we got to learn about preying manti. This one was absolutely beautiful with his solid green eyes and thin arms.


It is really hard for me to decide a favorite time of year, or a favorite month, but when pressed for that info, September would probably win. I love the word itself - I think it is the prettiest word out of all the months. I love the weather of it, the crisp air, the crunchy leaves, the moist smells. I love the anticipation that comes in it....school starting, Thanksgiving being right around the corner, Christmas right after that.

1 comment:

mom said...

I love all the pictures you took at the pumpkin farm! Especially the sephia one of the wheel -- very artistic! I liked the close-up of the praying mantis, but wasn't crazy about the spider. To me, it doesn't make a difference whether they are male or female. I just want them far away from me!!
It's funny that you say you love September, because here in Georgia, September has been a MISERABLE month! So hot and muggy and nasty! I'm SOOOOOOOOOO glad it is over. It is finally cooling down and starting to act like fall!!