Thursday, September 23, 2010

Facts about sleep walking that I've learned so far

1. It is a myth that the sleep walker will die if you wake them up abruptly. The fact is that they will usually be disoriented and scared, and often times people will be violent in that moment when they are woken due to their disorientation.

2. It is hereditary - Daddy used to do it, so now Garrett does.

3. It usually starts around age 8-9 and slows down around 15-16.

4. There are no other problem associated with sleepwalking - no cognitive issues or mental illness or anything.

5. Sleepwalking usually happens around the same time each night because it occurs during the 3rd and 4th stages of sleep - each sleep cycle happens in 5 stages, then REM sleep and then it repeats 4-5 cycles per night. Sleep walking usually occurs in the first cycle.

6. A full bladder can cause a sleepwalking episode, as can stress and disturbed sleeping patterns

7. A sleepwalker is only in danger for where they walk, but not the fact that they are walking - some people have walked out windows, tripped over end tables and toys, fallen out of bunk beds, gone outside in the snow and gotten lost, teens getting the keys and driving off and wrecking, etc.

8. Sleepwalkers have no memory of what they did, where they went, or what happened during their "walk"


I guess I am just going to have to make sure we cut out the cup of water before bed time, and I am going to be more diligent about making sure the floors are picked up. He's never gotten hurt before, but then again, he'd never peed on the floor either!

I should be thinking about moving his top bunk bed back down onto the ground, but that one is much harder for me to do :-( And I'm going to see if I can invest in a top lock that is too high for him to reach on the front door.

So not too much will have to change for him other than the night cup. I am usually still awake when he walks, and as long as he doesn't get hurt or do this on a nightly occurrence, then he doesn't need to see a doctor about it :-)

Hopefully the town will be safe from here on out!

No comments: