Wednesday, September 22, 2010

I've gotta wake this kid!

Tonight we hit a new low in our continuing saga of the sleepwalking boy.So far he has tried to go out to the garage, crawled into the bathtub, tried heading out the front door after midnight and gotten terrified when I wouldn't let him, headed to the tub to go to the bathroom, and other random walk-abouts around the house. But tonight we hit a new low where I am now determined to do some reading up on sleep walking.
The kids have all taken to sleeping on the floor around my bed at night, (which I don't mind in the least! It has me going to bed earlier so I can read to them, and I feel so much safer with them all in my room!), and we were all in bed and the kids were already asleep while I worked on some school ideas for the morning.
Garrett got up and stretched, but had his "Don't be fooled, I'm not really awake" look on. I asked him what he was doing and he just looked at me.
So I asked him if he needed to go to the bathroom - the most common reason for anyone to wake up in the middle of the night.
He was silent.
I told him to go use my bathroom (since he had been sleeping right in front of it).
He murmured something about no, he wanted his. And then he left my room, shutting the door behind him.
That was clue number two that he wasn't all there!
I kept writing for a minute or two and then thought I should check on him since I had the thought that he wasn't all awake. I didn't want him trying to walk out of the house again.
The hall was dark and silent.
I checked the kid's bathroom - it was dark and empty.
I thought maybe he had said something about going to his own bed, because after all, he was sleeping on the floor - maybe he realized that his comfy bed was a better option.
The door to the boys' room was shut.
Clue number three!
I open the door and turn on the light and he turns to me, his eyes about the size of dinner plates, with that woken-up-too-quickly-trying-to-assess-the-situation look in them. This is what I found:

He had turned right into his bedroom instead of left into his bathroom and then peed all over the church and the car shop... how wrong is that?

He was asleep again before I had even gotten him back to my room to his pallet on the floor. Leaving me to clean up the town.

2 comments:

Smithclan said...

I'm so glad you got some pictures. That is classic. He won't mind when he's older, nope.

the quirky one said...

He hasn't seen this post yet, but he actually thinks it is funny, the things he does when he is sleep walking, so I don't think he will mind it...for right now. Now, when he is 17 and if I showed it to a girl friend... well, his tune might change!