I love my grandmother. She is a hoot to be around! Her mannerisms are from another time and place. And even with that reasoning, she is completely different from anyone else who came from the same time and place!
Add on to that the fact that she is 89 years old and although her body is still going strong, her mind is starting to show it's age... well, you get some really funny times!
Right now she is living with my aunt in Georgia and occasionally my aunt will pass along her most recent Granny-isms.
My aunt is a character all to herself as well ~ I'm sure she was a gypsy in a former life and loved it so much that she remains the same today. She is an artistic soul who won't conform to anything. I love reading about them and giggling as I visualize the conversations going on between these two women that I love.
As I was reading one that my mom passed on to me today, the thought occurred to me that these really need to be written down somewhere for our family to remember them years from now. And since typing is so much quicker than actually hand writting them, I decided to put them here. That way I have them for me and my kids to look back on and remember and giggle some more!
So here is today's story: the tale of the Macaroni and Cheeseless.
"So I have been hankering after some macaroni and cheese and asked mom if she wouldn't mind making me some...not from the box, but actually browning the macaroni, mixing in the little cubed ham and then some onions and cheese. Oh yeah. Love that stuff. So she says yes, she'll make me some for dinner. I get home from work and she gives me a bowl of macaroni.
Aunt S: what is this?
Granny: macaroni and cheese
Aunt S: it looks like macaroni and nothing.
Granny: I didn't use any cheese
Aunt S: (aghast) why didn't you put any cheese in the macaroni - that's half the dish!
Granny: I don't like cheese
Aunt S: I DO
Granny: you said you didn't like cheese
Aunt S: generally speaking I'm not a big cheese eater, but when I eat macaroni and cheese I kind of expect there to be cheese in the dish
Granny: well, I didn't know if you wanted cheese in it
Aunt S: when someone says MACARONI AND CHEESE they usually expect cheese in the dish!
Granny: they might be wrong though, they might not want cheese in the dish
Aunt S: of course, they might not know what they heck they want. Ok, give me some salt and I'll eat this macaroni cheeseless."
No comments:
Post a Comment