With her being our first born, we wondered what kind of parents we should be to help raise her to be as strong as she would need to be in the world she was brought into. What sort of person was she going to grow up into? Would she be headstrong and immovable and solid in her beliefs? Would she be timid and shy and need to be taught to stand up for herself? What did her future have in store for this beautiful little angel Heavenly Father had sent to our family?
Here she is today, on her twelfth birthday, and even though I still worry about that trait in her a little bit, she has come a long way from the days when she had to be deprogrammed after playing with friends! 
She is still a strong willed little girl, but has learned where to direct it and it isn't used in a bull-headed sense of the term. She knows what goals she has and barrels towards them full speed. She is determined, and jovial, and outgoing. She still loves to smile and giggle and make others happy. Often times she is so excited tears come to her eyes!
She is also to that stage in growing up where you get really goofy at times! She thinks the silliest things are funny and loves to be different and unique. There are days when she goes around the house calling herself "Bob." 
She is still a social butterfly and loves to be around her friends, but in the past few years she has picked up a nervous/shy streak as well - I think it comes from being around me too much because it comes in the same situations when I introvert as well.I've tried to teach her to be strong and brave, but I guess my example has also done some teaching in the other direction! Sorry, Tig! 

Emmy was overly excited for her to blow out her candles and was 'helping' from across the table
Tig showing off some of her gifts. She got a subscription to the New Era, some modeling clay from Granny, the book The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan, and some polka-dotted knee socks from Granny.
She also got the movie MegaMind from Garrett and Owen and a Lego game from Mom and Dad. She loved all of her gifts and has already finished her 557 paged book!
She is so strong and so beautiful and so sure of herself. I worried if she would have issues with her body like all young girls do, but it has never been even a dot on her map. (Sometimes I wish it were a little more of a concern though, she never worries about how she's dressed or what her hair looks like, or when the last time she washed her hair... at six it was fine, but now at 12, we're having to lay the rules down kinda thick! No stripes and polka dots, no green does not match purple, hair needs to be washed every other day....) Teagan continues to absorb knowledge like a thirsty sponge. It amazes me how quickly she understands new concepts and how little explanation she needs to grasp things. She is a year ahead of her friends in school and still just blows through pre-algebra like it was a fluff class. 
Her heart is just as full of kindness and love as her head is full of new ideas. I have enjoyed having her in my little family and as my best friend for the past 12 years. I couldn't have imagined a better match for our family!
Having gushed all that... she is still a 12 year old girl! She is indecisive and stuck between the world of playing with Littlest Pet Shop Animals or painting her nails. She wants to watch Magic School Bus cartoons and Disney Channel tweeny shows at the same time. She makes me glad that I am past that part of life - where you have one foot in both worlds and want the best of both but don't know quite how to make it work. I love watching her grow up and seeing how she faces all the challenges life brings her... she's a lot stronger than I was at her age, and I am sure glad of that!
We had a family birthday party for her to celebrate this special day. She chose scones and honey butter and OJ for breakfast, BLT soup and soda pop for lunch, and a spaghetti pig-out for dinner (but we were all so full from lunch that we just opted for a lighter dinner instead of the spaghetti!)
Here are some pictures from her little party:
Daddy lighting her candles before we opened presents.
Tig showing off some of her gifts. She got a subscription to the New Era, some modeling clay from Granny, the book The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan, and some polka-dotted knee socks from Granny.
2 comments:
Happy happy birthday, Tigs! I can't believe you're 12! I still remember the day your Mommy told me you were on the way...We love you so much, and hope this new part of your life is full of fun adventures, good friends, and happiness!!
Love,
Aunt A and Uncle P
Happy Birthday Teagan!!! 12 is a really cool age!
"she's a lot stronger than I was at her age, and I am sure glad of that!" I feel the same way about my daughters.
Post a Comment