Saturday, November 12, 2011

Gratitude 12: long distance phone calls

I find it so easy to find things around me to be grateful for each day, that sometimes it is hard for me to narrow it down to just one a day; but today this one stands out for me. Today's gratitude is the first one so far this month that has actually brought tears to my eyes.
I'm grateful for long distance phone calls, namely ones to my sister. I got to talk to her for a nice long time today as we travelled in the car, and it was heavenly:-) Anyone who knows my sister knows what an amazing person she is...literally a Superwoman - only she doesn't prance around in a blue leotard with a red cape :-)
Growing up she and I weren't close...we were five years apart and I was the stereotypical annoying little sister and she was the typical teenage girl. I remember one day having to call her home from work because I had gotten into her room while she was gone and was playing with her things - trying to be like her as I usually did - and not knowing how to use her curling iron brush the right way, I had gotten it hopelessly tangled in my hair. I even had a friend come over to try her hand at it, but being my same age and capabilities, she couldn't do much. So I sheepishly called Jen to come rescue me. She came and, with no finesse, pried my hair out of her iron!  I was constantly sneaking in her room to try her things on in the hopes that I could somehow mimic her beauty and poise; almost always getting caught when she would come home and notice things out of place.
I finally became a real worthwhile person to her once she moved out and that's when our friendship really started to grow. It took being away from the crazy little sister to make her see how cool I really was! (Just kidding, Jen!) She started her family and I was still taking notes on everything she did just as I had all growing up; learning from her every move. And now here we are, both of us with our own families, supposedly all grown up and adultish (yeah, I just made up that word), but I still am watching her every move and trying to be like her...I am just having to  learn from a much larger distance than before.
I don't get to talk to her nearly enough to fill me, and I see her even less. But these long distance phone calls mean the world to me. Even from across a country I can hear her laugh, imagine her mannerisms, grill her for her wisdom, and learn from her example.
Thanks for filling my gratitude day 12, Jen. I know we don't say it nearly enough, but I love you! And thanks for being a faithful reader of this blog. Even though we aren't physically close anymore, it helps me feel like we are still keeping in touch and that you will know my kids and be part of their lives - like you will always be no matter where we are.

1 comment:

Jen said...

You are way too kind...I love you dearly and loved, loved, loved being able to talk to you yesterday even if there was a small Echo-child consistently climbing on me in attempts to eat my face, play with my hair to form it into a mustache on my face, or any of the other antics she attempts when she realizes I am unfocused on her.
I miss you more than I ever say and wish we lived closer but my gratitude moment is knowing that I have your blog to read that gives me snapshots into the life of my sister and her family.
Who knows but maybe I'll be inspired by you and start keeping a blog so that you can see into my life more also? I really am grateful for this blog...I would be sad if it didn't exist.
Never count yourself short...you are amazing and I look up to you..(figuratively and literally...you do have an inch or two on me)
P.S. I remember having LOTS of finesse when extracting the curling brush from your hair...you know, I had to leave work for that...that's love. :)