Friday, November 4, 2011

Gratitude 4: My newest seven-year-old

On Friday, at 11:36am Utah time, Owen officially turned seven years old. And somehow, even though it shouldn't seem this way, it really does feel as though a lot has changed. He's no longer a little kid, now he is getting bigger. This time next year we will be talking baptism with him. I don't know where the time has flown! It seems like he was  a newborn just yesterday when we drove out on our move to Utah, and here we are about to leave here with another newborn, but one that isn't him. 
 (Owen at 3 months old)
 (Owen at 10 months old)
(Owen at 18 months old)
 We did our traditional decorate the room bit, and the chose all the meals privilege. He wanted Granny's monkey bread and apple juice for breakfast, healthy foods for lunch (I opted for rice and salsa chicken) with almond cake and strawberry milk, and a friend party for dinner with pizza, pop, and cupcakes.
 Daddy was gone again for his family lunch celebration, but we had our great friend Wendi there with us to share in the fun. He loved the meal and the cake Teagan made for him, but the big hit was opening the presents from Granny and from his siblings. Granny gave him a little Lego set with a police dog that he had been wanting, Garrett gave him a little Ninjago Lego set, and Teagan had bought him the Cars 2 movie. He scored big time!
 For his friend party, about 10 little friends showed up. They played night games in the front yard with glow sticks we passed out, they enjoyed the shark cupcakes we made, and they watched part of Gnomeo and Juliet while they waited for their parents to show up.
 He had a fun time with his buddies, and no migraine this year to keep him from the festivities! He was such a good host, trying to make sure everyone was playing and entertained and making sure everyone had a drink or a cupcake - he is growing up before my eyes; I'm not sure if I like it or not!
I know he is my kid that some people have a hard time dealing with, just because he is a bundle of energy, but boy do I love this little ball of energy! He is the truest friend, the deepest lover, the funniest clown, the strongest willed (which can be a good thing), and the most emotionally involved. He has blessed my life in so many ways that I can't imagine the person I would be if I hadn't been loved by this little man!

Happy seventh birthday, Owen. I am so proud of the person you are becoming. You are truly a select child of Heavenly Father and have a great purpose to fulfill in your life. Stay true to who you are and the things you hold dear - you were sent to this family the way you are for reasons that will become clear as you grow in wisdom. Rise up to the challenges around you and overcome the obstacles in your way. You amaze me. You astound me with you intelligence. You blow me away with the depth of your understanding and your love. Thank you for being my best buddy!
I love you!

No comments: