Monday, March 24, 2008
30 things about me that are okay
Okay, so this week I turned the big 3 0. Age has never been an issue in my mind -
I have always wanted to be an old woman one day, sitting and rocking on a front porch with my cute, wrinkly hubby next to me and holding hands. My problem was always that I never really looked my age... I was carded way past the time when I needed to be carded; I was mistakenly yelled at one year at girls' camp for being out of my tent past hours even though I was the camp director; and I was treated like a teenage mom when I had Teagan even though I was 21. So, for me to turn thirty hasn't been earth moving or mind boggling. My mind sort of froze somewhere around 21 or 22 and that is still where my first thought tells me where I am! But the problem that did come up for me as I turned thirty was that I didn't feel mature enough to be this old - I still feel like an insecure teenager in many respects! So, I decided to challenge myself to write a list of 30 things about me that I think are okay, so here goes:
1. I am trying to raise my children to be responsible for their thoughts, actions, and emotions
2. I am trying to teach my kids to love the gospel and to have rooted testimonies of their own
3. I learn well from other people - both from their follies and their triumphs
4. I am a good listener
5. I like to make people smile and love to hear people laugh
6. Doing service for others is a life blood for me - but I usually like to do it secretly - and I am teaching my kids to love doing service for other also
7. I work well with children, I often feel more comfortable around kids than adults!
8. I am an A student in college and plan on staying that way
9. I have high expectations for my kids - ever since I was a kid I have always known that I wouldn't do anything especially amazing with my life, but that my kids would if I could raise them how Heavenly Father wanted me to.
10. I am a third of the way there and even though I am really running out of things to say, I am going to keep on because I can't stand to quit!
11. I am really good at organizing things - just ask my sister-in-law Katie! She teases me that I alphabetize the pantry items!
12. I am a fairly clean person, I would like my house to be little tidier, but with three kids home all day long, that goal will have to be postponed until they are all a little older!
13. I try to do right by my kids - a little bit of fun, a little bit of work, a little bit of sleep, throw in a nice helping of learning and a good dose of spirituality, and roll it all up to make a well balanced day.
14. I am putting forth a concerted effort to do FHE every week and read scriptures every day with the kids. Our FHE's may not always be scripted, but we do try to do something family oriented each week, like I said, I'm really working on it!
15. I enjoy acquiring new skills - either crafts, mechanics, culinary, you name it and I am game for learning something new.
16. I love learning new things and love going to school - it is very invigorating!
17. I love to read and am trying to instill this in my kids - it is working with all three so far!
18. I have a hard time making friends, but when I do make them I keep them for life!
19. I don't usually overreact easily, I try to keep things in a long term perspective and that helps keep emotions in check.
20. I am fairly reliable, I keep my promises and make my words mean what I mean them to mean (if that makes any sense!)
21. I try to be empathetic to people
22. It is easy for me to appreciate what Heavenly Father has blessed me with - I know how greatly blessed I am and constantly remind myself of all I have been given.
23. I don't hold grudges. It takes a lot to anger me and if I do get angry, I don't stay that way for long. It is easier and a lot more pleasant to just get over it and realize that in the long run it really isn't worth the energy or the unpleasant feelings.
24. I am a terrible liar, and because of that wonderful characteristic, I don't lie. (or play poker!)
25. It is easy for me to think of others first
26. I have taught my kids to write thank you notes for anything they are given. I think it teaches them gratitude and makes them remember who gave them what so that everything is associated with the love it was given with.
27. Even though I may not keep in touch well with my best of friends, I have them constantly in my mind and heart
28. I learn from my mistakes and rarely repeat them
29. I'm a pretty laid back person and don't take things too seriously that don't need to be
30. Even though it was pretty hard for me to do this, I stuck with it, and even though I will probably not post this, I still thought it was important for me to do it. (You know, one of those self improvement movements that you need to do every so often to help yourself out of your shell and closer to liking the you you are? It's one of those types of things!)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
What a great list! But I can think of some things I like about you that you should like about yourself - or maybe you just forgot!
-You're tremendously creative - your flower arrangements for my wedding are amazing, and my bouquet will be in a place of honor in Sydney!
-You take amazing pictures - our engagement shots are still my favorite pictures of Patrick & I!
-You seem to have an unlimited supply of patience and love for everyone in your life!
-You are a fantastic cook.
(Yes, I lost the peanut butter pie recipe again...can you re-send it to me? Did I mention you're very patient?)
xoxo, Aunt Annike
You make me laugh! I like you! Of course I will give you the recipe again, I have recognized the trend that every time you move you need another copy, so I was already well prepared to give it to you again! Thanks for commenting on our blog - I am glad you are able to keep up with us even though you are a million miles away!
You mean 30 things you think are FABULOUS about you, right??? That's what I thought! Oh, and raising wonderful beautiful children that will grow into wonderful beautiful adults that contribute to the growth of society is dang AMAZING! and EXTROADINARY!!
I love the exercise you did, that would be hard for me to do. Maybe I should try it, hmmmm....
Happy Birthday KRISSY! I'm so glad we are 30 and I'm so glad that you never let go of your friends. There is so much about you that I would love to take into my life...like patience and genuine love and generosity and laughter and playfullness and intelligence and humility and kindness and...YES I COULD GO ON FOREVER...and I wouldn't as near to doing that if you weren't in my life!
Ditto to all the nice things said about you above. First thing I noticed about you was that you're "normal", so down to earth and very, very easy to talk to. You ARE a great listener. One credit to you and Scott are your sweet children, how respectful they are to adults and how kind and thoughtful they are. I remember one time in primary a little boy was feeling out of place and didn't quite want to sit with his class, Garrett went to the back of the primary room and sat by him and patted his arm and asked "Buddy, do you want to come and sit by me?" So sweet!! That shows a ton of how you are a GREAT parent! Thanks for that sweet memory.
Post a Comment