Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Day at the Park




Last night, for a Family Home Evening activity we decided to go to a park and play for a couple of hours and then head to the dollar movie theater for a rare treat.

We love playing at the park, and we went to a park that we hadn't been to in a while, so that made it even more fun :-) The park near our house doesn't have any swings and is sort of on the smaller side of playgrounds, so going to a larger playground is loads of fun. The kids loved playing outside in the wonderful spring-like weather we have been having. We raced around the playground, threw a frisbee back and forth, and swang, swang, swang. Watching them made me think of a bad Cinderella story ~ Owen was in a baby swing and Teagan was in a regular swing, and Garrett was going back and forth between the both of them pushing them both on their swings. My poor middle kid can't have any fun of his own because he is smashed between a big sister who tells him what to do and a baby brother who demands his help! (That's not really true! Garrett actually wanted to push Owen and kept doing "Underdog" with him, so he really was having fun, but it looked like it would make a good "Woe is me" story for him!)

After the sun started to set and the weather started to cool off too much for my liking, we decided to head over to the theater and see what was playing. We decided to go see "Alvin and the Chipmunks". (The kids wanted to see Water Horse, but it wasn't there anymore. Our choices were "Alvin","Enchanted", and "August Rush" ~ the vote was unanymous) I was really expecting to regret the wasted hour and half sitting there watching the movie, but it was actually (surprisingly) decent. It was well worth the $2 it cost to get all four of us in to see it (don't you love half price night at the dollar theater?!) The kids laughed hysterically at it and even Owen sat through it without us having to make 3 or 4 trips to the bathroom or water fountain. I even found myself laughing at it in parts :-) It was a later movie than they are used to (7:00!) so Owen fell asleep 2/3 through it, but it was still a fun night for the kids and I. (Poor daddy was still at work and didn't get to do our FHE fun night with us)

When the movie was over we went home and drug ourselves to bed. I put Owen in his bed on his pillow, pulled the blankets up and made him confy cozy, and laid his blankie on top with the silky side up, just like he likes it. I put the other two in bed, pulled their covers up, kissed them, made sure they had water cups near their beds, tucked their blankets in nice and tight like they like it, and then went to bed myself. Somehow, during this night time, mass tuck-in session, oozing with Mommy kisses and love, somehow I made a MAJOR mistake! I was awoken this morning by one VERY unhappy little boy ~ Owen was upset about something and he wanted the neighborhood to know about it! He came running into my room sobbing. It took me a while to calm him down enough so that he could tell me what the problem was... I was thinking he had a nightmare, or fell out of bed, or stubbed a toe getting out of bed; something really tragic! But what I had done that had really upset him was that I had put him to sleep at the head of his bed with his head on his pillow (yes, a terrible travesty, I know!).... He had woken up and he wasn't in his dog house with his dogs, but instead, was sleeping at the wrong side of the bed.... naughty mommy! I guess I will know for next time!


1 comment:

John and Jamie said...

That sound like a lot of fun. Sorry to hear that Scott did not get to have fun with you guys the kids look so happy.
That cute about Owen it funny what kids think interesting and what we think is interesting.
I loved the pictures