Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Garrett's New Library Card

We went to the library yesterday to check out some books for school and Garrett got up on a little soap box of his that he normally gets on when we go there. He has been very disturbed that when you apply for a library card at the Provo library, that they give the parent one and then they will give you one extra one - a different card and number that is still attached to the parent card. He knows that I have mine, and that Teagan was the one who I gave the extra card to. When I first got it a couple of years ago, they only let you have the two cards, and if you lost yours or wanted extras, you had to pay for them ~ and I, of course, was not supportive of that idea! So, Teagan and I have been the sole library card holders in the family for three years and Garrett feels a little jilted.
So yesterday was no exception to his hurt emotional rant; he wanted his own card (especially since our library recently switched to the self check out lanes where everything is computer run and he REALLY wants to scan all his own books!) and didn't like that Teagan got to pick out books and movies and tapes for herself and then got to check them out herself. So I decided to ask about getting another card - it is about time he got a card for himself, and as long as it wasn't too expensive I was sure I could manage a couple of bucks to get him a card of his own. The kid loves reading and this is just another way to foster that love in him ~in other words, it is well worth it!
To our surprise, when we asked about getting him one of his own, she told us they no longer cost anything and he could have one for free (it would also be attached to my card, but it was a "card" of his very own!). He even got to pick out which design he wanted (he went for the cool, purple dragon on a silver card design) and sign it himself.
He was just tickled pink to have that card all of his own and held it in his pocket all day long! He didn't want Owen or Teagan holding it because they were going to get fingerprints in the front of the card where the dragon was and, as he put it, "you never know when Owen is going to decide to destroy something and I don't want him to break my card." When we got back home and were working on school, that card was laid on his desk right next to his books and he kept touching it and flipping it over and re-reading the fine print on the back! It was a sight to see how proud he was of that silly little card!
We are going back to the library tomorrow for their "Library Kids" activities and he is very anxious to check something out - anything, as long as he can do it himself with his newly acquired library power!

2 comments:

Gina said...

The things that tickle kids... That is a really cute story! Congrats Garrett!

K Sue said...

GARRETT HAS THE POWER! I think Garrett can handle the responsibility. I miss that library.